Wanderings

Not all those who wander are lost -Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Counting the hours

So I leave in 48 hours for Cameroon. I feel ready, unprepared, excited, anxious, uncertain, confident, vulnerable and privileged- all randomly mixed together like miscellaneous items in the free box at a garage sale.

It occurred to me recently that I could have used the last months to learn some French (spoken by 80% of the people in Cameroon). The only French phrases I knew offhand were deja vu, hors d'oeuvres, and wi. Yesterday I decided to look up some other short phrases. I now know how to introduce myself, say hello, bid good-bye and tell someone I love them (one never knows when one may want to declare one's love for another). Hopefully my vocabulary will rapidly expand upon arrival. Perhaps I will even learn to use some of these "useful French phrases."

10 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Stacia said...

always important to know how to declare your love! :)
I love you! blessings!

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

je t'aime Angie! You may also want to know this phrase: n'est pa? always a good adendum in forming your famous questions :) i.e You ask "Tu m'aime, n'est pa?" (Do you love me? or literally, "you love me, right?) I say, "Oui Oui!" My french is rusty, but I think that is right!

Bonjour my friend!

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, I wish I would have read your blog before our porch swing conversation this afternoon! I enjoyed your reflections. The pressure cooker one would be comforting to others in the throes of too many options.

Blessings as you count down!
Lynette

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ange,
I wouldn't worry too much about the French! Smile a lot, trust me (I'm an MK), it works! =) Thanks for sending us the blog address, I'm looking forward to reading your stories in your pithy writing style (wait, is that how you spell pithy? good thing your the one going to teach reading, I'm a failure at every language I speak... sheesh!)
much love,
Stephanie

 
At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those French phrases rock. I want to learn them all...

Good coffee today. Let's do it again sometime, eh?

"On t'a bercé trop près du mur?"

 
At 4:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: I noticed that the timestamp on the last post is a bit off. It says 3:40AM, when in reality it is 4:33AM. Though I was up at 3:40AM...

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Angie have a great time be safe and just be yourself how can any one love ya if they know you take care nikki

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh here is my myspace adress any one who wants to check it can would love more friends thanks nikki

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

opps forgot to attaach it lol here it is for real www.myspace.com/babydoll12499
tc nikki

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol typo not love yopu hwo can anyone not love you if they know you sorry

nikki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home