Wanderings

Not all those who wander are lost -Lord of the Rings

Monday, June 12, 2006

I've arrived!

I will write more details later regarding initial transitions and such (perhaps at a time when my body has resigned itself to actually sleep during the night). In brief, travels were uneventful without any major hiccups along the way, unless you count being assigned aisle seats as a hiccup. (I hate aisle seats- there is no window to lean your head against to sleep, people are always asking you to get up so they can use the lavatory, flight attendants bang your knees with their drink/food carts).

Since arrival I have been greeted graciously by the missionary community here. They have prepared a "meal sheet" for my time in Yaounde this week (a meal sheet is when missionaries sign up to host the new person for lunch or dinner in their homes as a way to get to know each other). I have been enjoying hearing the stories of how people arrived on field and their experiences thus far in Cameroon. Today I am starting to hit the nitty gritties of exchanging money, tracking down reading/research resources, finding malaria pills, meeting my supervisor, buying adapters, hooking my computer up to the internet, moving to different living accomodations, getting my visa copy certified,..... and all the other little tasks that accompany learning to function semi-independently in a new country.

5 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Nathalie said...

I'm so glad you are there safe and sound. How did the back fare during the travels? Keep us posted!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger amy said...

i'm so excited for you! it sounds like they are taking care of you. post often!

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, give us a back update. Ditto to the other stuff Nat & Amy said...
Andrew

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it safely. I'm also interested to know how your back is doing after all the travelling. Hope you're enjoying the new things!

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Finally, finally, finally in Cameroon! I am thrilled for you and will be checking your blog frequently!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home