Wanderings

Not all those who wander are lost -Lord of the Rings

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Perks of a small town

So I know that my profile talks about my infatuation with the big city, but at least for the next year, I'm going to have to put that little crush on the back burner and learn to live with "what is."

So in that spirit, there really are some good things about small towns, like:


  1. You apparently don't need a single piece of identification in order to obtain a library card to the town library, just a head nod in response to the question, "Do you live around here?"
  2. There are no lines at the BMV- yep, I didn't even sit down in the waiting area before they called my number.
  3. Cheap rent!
  4. Lots of tree-lined country roads to jog on without the bother of traffic
  5. Small, unkept cemetaries to "discover" on walks/runs (I find cemetaries to be strangely peaceful)
  6. You end up supporting local businesses (a value that is sometimes compromised when Mennonite frugalness is tempted by the bargain prices offered by corporate America)
  7. Amish neighbors bring you "extra" green beans and tomatoes from their garden
  8. No need to learn road names; you can give directions without them- just use phrases like "the stoplight in town" or "across from the bank"
  9. You can teach at a public school and not need your behavior plan for the first four days of the school year
  10. No parking tickets, overnight parking permits or traffic jams (unless you count the Tuesday flea market crowd in which case you just have to take the back roads to avoid the large groups of women with puffy paint on their shirts looking for more knick-knacks to clutter up their homes)

I'm sure there are more, but I'll stop for now.

3 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You sure have a better opinion of ole' Shipshewana than I can muster up! Maybe it's just because it's changed so much since I was growing up there. Do people actually still live in town? I thought it was all craft shops by now.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Stacia said...

nice, Ang. and by the way, next time you call the house, I get to talk to you first.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Wow! If I didn't know better, your description might actually make me jealous :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home